Brigham and Women’s
Center for Community Wellness Health Discussions
The Center for Community Wellness at STEC is specifically designed to bring directly to our patients innovative community based programs focusing on the prevention of hyperglycemia and obesity, on nutritional support and “food education”, on heart-healthy blood pressure reduction strategies, on preventive approaches to the management of hyperlipidemia, and where appropriate, and on environmental triggers and thus stabilization of asthma. Importantly, these patient healthy goals link together under one roof through activities such as our Brigham and Women’s Center for Community Wellness Health Discussions that incorporate formal gym and exercise classes with a wide ranging curriculum of health promotion and weight reduction activities targeted to patients of all ages so that we reach both older parents, their younger caregivers at home, and youth.
HEAL2 (Health Education, Awareness & Literacy = Healthy Engagement, Actions & Life)
is a year-long CCW initiative featuring monthly workshops and interactive forums.
Brigham and Women’s Center for Community Wellness Health Discussions are held at:
Center for Community Wellness (CCW)
Sportsmen’s Tennis & Enrichment Center
950 Blue Hill Avenue
Dorchester, MA 02124
Thursday, March 5, 2020
Kidney Disease by Dr. Marina Zambrotta
Keeping Up with the Kidneys: What You Need to Know About Chronic Kidney Disease
- What is the role of the kidneys in the body?
- What diseases can affect kidney function?
- How common is kidney disease?
- How does my doctor screen for kidney disease?
- My family member is on dialysis – what is dialysis?
- What can I do to protect my kidney function?
- What happens when the kidneys fail?
Thursday, April 2, 2020
Intimate Partner Violence Awareness and Action by Dr. Rose Olson
- What is Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) and why is it important to know about?
- What can IPV look like and who faces it?
- What are signs that someone may be experiencing IPV?
- What can we do as both individuals and community members to take action against IPV?
- Community Resources for help around issues of IPV
Thursday, May 7, 2020
Colon Cancer Screening by Dr. Ericka Howard
- Why colon cancer screening is important and when you should be screened
- Different types of colon cancer screening: what to expect and how to prepare for each test
- Preventative and lifestyle modifications to reduce risk of colon health